Saturday, July 24, 2010

Parmesan Cod with Spinach Marinara



Hello Everyone! I know, I know...it's been too long since I updated my blog. I've just been so darn busy! This past weekend I had a wonderful time in Cape May with my mom and sister. What a beautiful town! So many pretty things to look at and the food....oh my! We went to The Carriage House which is a little tea room that serves yummy sandwiches, scones and cakes. How charming it was! They had a nice area to dine outside, but the weather was too hot for it to be enjoyable. Maybe next time!

So the other night I came up with this recipe for parmesan cod. It was very simple and all the flavors came together nicely. I love the combination of seafood and pasta...and parmesan cheese!


Here's the recipe:
Spinach Marinara
1 large can italian plum tomatoes
4 shallots
2 cloves garlic
fresh basil ( about 4 leaves)
2 Bay leaves
3 TB olive oil
S&P
Sprinkle of red pepper flakes
Splash of red wine vinegar
Bundle of fresh spinach - wash well!




Heat olive oil over med heat. Add diced shallots and cook until soft - 5 minutes. Add chopped garlic and cook another minute. Add a splash of red wine and stir well. Add can of tomatoes ( I crushed them first with my hands), bay leaves, S&P,basil and pepper flakes. Reduce heat and simmer until bubbly and slightly thickened - about 10 minutes. Add roughly chopped spinach and cook another 2-3 minutes. Sauce is done!

While sauce is cooling down, cook your favorite pasta. I used whole wheat spaghetti - al dente. Make sure you salt the water well.


Now for the fish:
2 Cod Filets
Black Pepper
Lemon
Paprika
2 TB Parmesan Cheese
2 TB Butter(I used Smart Balance) & splash of olive oil.


Melt butter with a splash of olive oil in a large skillet. Be careful not to burn the butter. Coat the cod filets with parmesan cheese and black pepper on both sides. Add to pan and cook until browned on one side. About 3 minutes. Once you turned and browned both sides, squeeze the juice of 1 lemon on top and sprinkle with Paprika.

Serve the fish with the pasta and marinara sauce. Sprinkle with lots of parmesan cheese! Enjoy!











No comments:

Post a Comment