Monday, June 28, 2010

It's Pizza Night



So I went to Trader Joe's the other night to pick up some of my favorite prepared things. Something new caught my eye in the refrigerated section: Garlic and herb pizza dough. Sounded very tasty, so I picked up a bag, along with some part-skim mozzarella, spicy turkey sausage, and a carton of mushrooms.

~

Tonight when we got home from work, I realized I didn't have any marinara on hand. No worries! I had a can of diced tomatoes in the pantry. So I quickly whipped up my own marinara by sautéing the tomatoes with garlic, olive oil, basil, S&P and a pinch of brown sugar. Tasty!

I stretched the dough, and it felt pretty soft and elastic. Pretty good for being in a bag for 2 days or more. I sauced it up, sprinkled on the cheese and toppings ( I added some chopped red onion to the mix) and put it in the oven 425 degrees for 15 minutes.

Here's the result. Crispy crust on the edges. A bit doughy in the center. Cheese was slightly on the rubbery side, lol. Let's just say it wasn't the best pizza I ever made. But it still beat the heck out of frozen boxed pizza. The garlic and herb crust had a sweet aftertaste. The red onion and turkey sausage gave it so much flavor. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate this pizza a 7. Would I buy the garlic and herb dough again? Probably not. I'll stick with my whole wheat honey dough : )

No comments:

Post a Comment